MLB Baseball Trends and Odds: Los Angeles Angels at San Diego Padres
Friday, May 18, 2012
by Mike Stewart
The Los Angeles Angels play in San Diego Padres for the first time in 12 years when they open a three-game interleague series against the Padres on Friday. The Padres still played at Qualcomm Stadium the last time the teams met in San Diego, so the series represents the Angels’ first visit to Petco Park. Jered Weaver makes his second career start against the Padres. He blanked San Diego on six hits in 2009.
Albert Pujols has homered in back-to-back games, but didn’t hit for a high average in Petco Park as a member of the St. Louis Cardinals. Pujols is batting just .258 at the spacious ballpark with seven homers in 97 career at-bats. San Diego has the worst record in the National League and is already 11 1/2 games off the pace in the NL West after losing to the first-place Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday.
Weaver was bypassed when the Padres had the No. 1 overall pick in 2004 and San Diego picked infielder Matt Bush. Weaver was torched in his last outing by the Texas Rangers when he gave up eight runs and 10 hits in 3 1/3 innings. He had allowed just four runs in his previous five starts, which included a no-hitter against the Minnesota Twins.
Suppan has been a pleasant find for the Padres and has pitched well in all three of his starts. The 37-year-old didn’t pitch in the majors last season but got an opportunity with San Diego when Cory Luebke went on the disabled list three weeks ago. He has given up just three earned runs since joining the Padres. Suppan is 5-4 with a 4.87 ERA in 12 career starts against the Angels.
1. The Angels and Padres have split 22 previous interleague meetings.
2. Los Angeles first baseman/designated hitter Mark Trumbo went 4-for-4 in Thursday’s loss to the Chicago White Sox and is 13-for-20 over the last five games.
3. Alexi Amarista is San Diego’s new second baseman after the release of Orlando Hudson. Amarista was acquired from the Angels earlier this month and went 1-for-3 in his Padres debut Thursday.
Recent Trends on Los Angeles:
- Under is 20-7-1 in LAA last 28 on grass.
- Under is 20-7-1 in LAA last 28 overall.
- Under is 8-3-1 in LAA last 12 road games.
Recent Trends on San Diego:
- SD are 6-2 in their last 8 interleague games.
- SD are 17-35 in their last 52 Fri. games.
- MLB Baseball Picks & Tips: Milwaukee Brewers vs San Diego Padres
- Prediction on MLB Games: Cleveland Indians vs Los Angeles Angels
- Las Vegas MLB Odds and Picks: Seattle Mariners vs Los Angeles Angels
- MLB Matchup and Trends: Los Angeles Angels at San Diego Padres
- MLB Vegas Sports Betting Odds: Los Angeles Angels vs Texas Rangers