MLB Baseball Picks & Tips: Cincinnati Reds vs St Louis Cardinals
Thursday, April 19, 2012
by Mike Stewart
St. Louis has won four of the first five meetings with the Reds this season, and four straight overall.
While the Cards are getting production throughout the lineup, the Reds have several key regulars hitting around or below .200.
St. Louis manager Mike Matheny likely won’t mess with success, but some observers believe slugger Carlos Beltran should be hitting lower than second in the order. Beltran hit his fifth homer in Wednesday’s 11-1 win, giving him just seven RBIs. It’s a nice problem to have for a team that’s shown no dropoff since losing Albert Pujols in free agency.
Arroyo has walked just one batter in 13 2/3 innings and sports a fine WHIP of 1.02 after two starts. But lifetime he’s 7-12 with a 4.59 ERA against the Cards. Jon Jay is 9 for 19 against Arroyo, and Lance Berkman has five homers in 59 career at-bats.
Wainwright’s velocity is down after he missed all of last season following Tommy John surgery, and the Cubs pounded him for eight runs in three innings last Friday. Wainwright had never started 0-2 until this year. But he’s owned Joey Votto (1 for 12) and Brandon Phillips (4 for 25) in his career.
1. A Cincy starter has not recorded a victory since Johnny Cueto on Opening Day.
2. Cards first baseman Lance Berkman, who aggravated a calf injury Wednesday, could be headed to the DL.
3. All of Cards outfielder Carlos Beltran’s seven RBIs have come on home runs.
MLB BASEBALL PREDICTION: St Louis 5, Cincinnati 2
- MLB Baseball Picks & Tips: Cincinnati Reds vs St Louis Cardinals
- MLB Baseball Betting: St Louis Cardinals vs Cincinnati Reds
- MLB Baseball Betting Odds: 2011 Cincinnati Reds Odds
- MLB Las Vegas Free Betting Picks: Los Angeles Angels vs Cincinnati Reds
- Betting in Vegas: Cincinnati Reds at St. Louis Cardinals