Saturday July 14 Prediction: Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays
Saturday, July 14, 2012
The Boston Red Sox are slowly getting their injured players back in the lineup. Friday saw the return of Jacoby Ellsbury and Will Middlebrooks, while Clay Buchholz is set to make his return to the mound on Saturday. The Red Sox need all the help they can get to chase down the playoff contenders in the American League. The Tampa Bay Rays are one of the teams in front, though their own injuries could be dragging them back.
The Rays don’t have anything positive to report on third baseman Evan Longoria, who has been out since tearing his hamstring on April 30. There is no concrete timetable for his return. Other sluggers - specifically Carlos Pena (.198 batting average), Luke Scott (.203) and B.J. Upton (.245) - are having trouble picking up the slack. Ellsbury and Middlebrooks combined to go 1-for-9 on Friday, but David Ortiz and Pedro Ciriaco continue to be hot for Boston.
Buchholz was hospitalized with a gastrointestinal illness and has not started in the majors since June 19. The right-hander had a string of four straight quality starts broken up in his final appearance, when he was reached for five runs and nine hits in six innings against the Miami Marlins. Buchholz has allowed seven runs in 14 innings against the Rays this season and is 5-3 with a 2.49 ERA in his career against the division rivals.
Price was on the short list to start the All-Star Game but had to settle for a scoreless third inning after being passed over in favor of Detroit’s Justin Verlander. Price is 3-0 with a 2.25 ERA in his last four starts and yielded one run over seven innings in a no decision at Boston on May 26. He is 6-4 with a 3.22 ERA in 12 career starts against the Red Sox.
1. Red Sox 1B Adrian Gonzalez (illness) was a late scratch from Friday’s lineup.
2. The Rays completed a deal with first-round draft pick Richie Shaffer just in front of the deadline on Friday. The deal is reportedly for a bonus of $1,712,500.
3. Boston LF Carl Crawford (elbow, wrist) is eyeing Monday as his return date.
Recent Trends on Boston: :
- Under is 9-3 in BOS last 12 overall.
- Under is 9-3 in BOS last 12 on grass.
- BOS are 2-6 in their last 8 overall.
Recent Trends on Tampa Bay: :
- Under is 6-2 in TB last 8 games following a loss.
- Under is 8-3-1 in TB last 12 Sat. games.
- Under is 9-4 in TB last 13 overall.
Las Vegas Sports Betting MLB Prediction: Tampa Bay -150
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- Friday July 13 Prediction: Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays
- Las Vegas MLB Prediction: Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays
- MLB Baseball Predictions & Odds: Tampa Bay Rays vs Boston Red Sox
- MLB Baseball Preview & Trends: Tampa Bay Rays at Boston Red Sox
- September 11th MLB Odds: Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays