May 19th Baseball Predictions: Cincinnati Reds at New York Yankees
Saturday, May 19, 2012
by Mike Stewart
A spectacular performance by Andy Pettitte in his second start since coming out of retirement halted a three-game losing streak by the New York Yankees on Friday. It also provided a warm and fuzzy moment to help mask an alarming offensive trend for the Yankees, who continue to shrivel up in the clutch. New York went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position, including a failure to score with the bases loaded and no outs. The Yankees are 3-for-48 with runners in scoring position in the last six games.
Cincinnati Reds managed only four singles and was shut out for the first time this season. It also marked the seventh time in 10 games that the Reds have been held to three runs or fewer. The leadoff spot is killing the team. Rookie Zack Cozart is mired in a 3-for-36 funk and Drew Stubbs batted less than .100 during his seven-game stint at the top of the order. Cincinnati's leadoff hitters rank last in batting average, on-base percentage and slugging percentage in the National League.
Bailey bounced back from his worst outing with his best start last time out. He limited the Atlanta Braves to one run on six hits in 6 2/3 innings but did not factor in the decision. He has surrendered three homers in a start twice but hasn't allowed a long ball in his five other outings. Bailey is looking to snap a four-start winless streak.
Nova was hit hard in his last start against Baltimore and also hurt his right foot, but pronounced himself good to go for Saturday. The Yankees have scored at least five runs in six of Nova's seven starts - and they've been needed with opponents batting .326 against him. Nova limited the Reds to one run on four hits in eight innings last year.
1. New York's Raul Ibanez homered for the fifth time in nine games. He hit a three-run shot in two at-bats against Bailey last year.
2. Reds outfielder Chris Heisey is 8-for-15 (.534) in his last five games.
3. Robinson Cano extended his hitting streak to five games Friday. He has an extra-base hit in each game.
Recent Trends on Cincinnati:
- CIN are 1-9 in their last 10 Sat. games.
- CIN are 6-2 in their last 8 games following a loss.
- Under is 6-2 in CIN last 8 games following a loss.
Recent Trends on New York:
- Under is 9-2 in NYY last 11 home games.
- Under is 23-9 in NYY last 32 games following a win.
- Over is 40-19-3 in NYY last 62 Sat. games.
- MLB Baseball Predictions: Seattle Mariners at New York Yankees
- Saturday September 15 Prediction: Tampa Bay Rays vs New York Yankees
- Betting on Vegas MLB Games: Texas Rangers vs New York Yankees
- Sunday July 15th MLB Odds: Los Angeles Angels vs New York Yankees
- Thursday June 28th MLB Odds: Chicago White Sox vs New York Yankees