NHL Lines and Odds: Lightning's Steven Stamkos vs The NY Islanders
Thursday, October 13, 2011
by Frank Martin
Steven Stamkos and John Tavares are still looking for their first goals of the season. The two former first overall picks hope to get going Thursday night when Stamkos leads the Lightning against Tavares and the Islanders in New York.
Stamkos did have a pair of assists in the first game and has 11 shots. Tavares has three shots and is -2 as the Islanders have split the first two games. The Lightning lost three of four to the Isles last season – two in overtime.
- Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders
When: 7:00 PM ET, Thursday, October 13, 2011
Where: Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum, Uniondale, New York
TV: 7 p.m. ET; SunSports (Tampa Bay), MSG Plus 2 (New York).
Tampa Bay Lightning (1-1-1): Defenseman Mattias Ohlund is expected to be out four to six weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on both knees Tuesday. The Lightning has depth to fill the void, but they have not played well in their own end the first three games – giving up an average of almost 40 shots. Dwayne Roloson, who turned 42 Wednesday, is expected to start in goal. Ryan Malone and Teddy Purcell each have a goal and two assists. Malone has 18 goals in 36 games against the Islanders.
New York Islanders (1-1-0): Al Montoya started the first two games in goal, allowing just three goals on 50 shots, and may get a third start. The Islanders also have goalies Rick DiPietro, who was hit in the head with a puck in practice Wednesday, and Evgeni Nabokov on the roster. P.A. Parenteau has two assists to lead the Islanders' offense. Veteran Steve Staios has been paired with Mark Streit on defense. Free-agent signing Jay Pandolfo (99 career goals) helped the Islanders kill all seven Minnesota power plays Monday.
1. Tampa Bay has killed off all 18 power plays it has faced.
2. The Islanders have won six of the last eight games between the two teams at the Nassau Coliseum.
3. The Lightning play their first five on the road and the Islanders are in the middle of four straight at home.
NHL PREDICTION: Lightning 5, Islanders 1. The Bolts get their offense going and play their best defensive game against the offensively-challenged Isles.
- NHL Free Picks: New York Islanders visit Tampa Bay Lightning
- NHL Prediction: New York Islanders at Tampa Bay Lightning
- NHL Late Night Game Odds: New York Islanders vs Anaheim Ducks
- NHL Picks and Tips: Pittsburgh Penguins at Tampa Bay Lightning
- NHL Hockey Odds: New York Islanders at Colorado Avalanche