MLB Sports Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates at Philadelphia Phillies
Wednesday, June 27, 2012
Five-time All-Star second baseman Chase Utley is expected to make his season debut on Wednesday as the Philadelphia Phillies will vie for their third straight win against the visiting Pittsburgh Pirates. Utley, who has been plagued by chronically injured knees, belted a solo homer during Tuesday's game with Triple-A Lehigh Valley. Carlos Ruiz collected three hits - including a solo homer in the eighth inning - and Ty Wigginton belted a two-run blast as Philadelphia posted a 5-4 triumph over its Keystone State rival on Tuesday.
Andrew McCutchen ripped a pair of doubles for the Pirates, who have dropped three in a row after winning six of their previous seven. Pittsburgh has struggled mightily at Citizens Bank Park, posting a 5-20 mark while losing 11 of its last 12. The Phillies are 5-3 on their current 10-game homestand.
McDonald has been heating up along with the weather. The 27-year-old has allowed one earned run or less in seven of his last nine outings - including a complete-game gem in a 9-1 win over Minnesota on Thursday. McDonald, who is just 0-2 in his career versus Philadelphia, settled for a no-decision after yielding two runs on four hits in six innings against the Phillies on April 8.
After using left-handers Cole Hamels and Cliff Lee during Sunday's doubleheader versus Tampa Bay, the Phillies are expected to head to their bullpen to start Wednesday's contest. Valdes is the likely candidate, since he last pitched just two innings during Saturday's 7-6 win over Tampa Bay. Valdes has just one start in 63 career appearances.
1. Slugger Ryan Howard is expected to be in Philadelphia for "functional testing" on his Achilles tendon on Wednesday, the team announced. Should he pass those tests, Howard will begin his rehabilitation assignment with Class A Lakewood on Thursday.
2. Ruiz, who is leading all of baseball with a .361 average, is expected to see even more playing time. Backup catcher Brian Schneider will miss three to five weeks with a high ankle sprain.
3. Drew Sutton made quite an impression with his new team. After being claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay on Sunday, Sutton had a pinch-hit double in the seventh to bring Pittsburgh to within a run at 4-3.
Recent Trends on Pittsburgh::
- Over is 6-2 in PIT last 8 vs. National League East.
- PIT are 76-167 in their last 243 road games.
- PIT are 2-6 in McDonalds last 8 Wed. starts.
Recent Trends on Philadelphia::
- Over is 8-2 in PHI last 10 home games.
- PHI are 38-13 in their last 51 Wed. games.
- Over is 36-15-1 in PHI last 52 overall.
Head to Head :
- Over is 8-2 in the last 10 meetings.
- PIT are 2-7 in the last 9 meetings.
Las Vegas Sports Betting MLB Prediction: OFF -OFF
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- MLB Baseball Las Vegas Prediction: Pittsburgh Pirates at Philadelphia Phillies
- MLB Baseball Free Picks: New York Mets vs Philadelphia Phillies
- MLB Betting Odds: Pittsburgh Pirates vs Philadelphia Phillies
- Las Vegas MLB Lines: Philadelphia Phillies at Atlanta Braves
- MLB Baseball Odds and Prediction: Chicago Cubs vs Philadelphia Phillies