NCAA Predictions: Miami Hurricanes vs Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
by Joe Rodriguez
Two first-year ACC coaches meet Tuesday in Atlanta with both teams desperate for a conference win. Under Jim Larranaga, Miami Hurricanes has lost three of four, including Sunday's 78-73 home defeat to N.C. State in which the Hurricanes trailed by 14 late.
Under Brian Gregory, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets have lost three straight and seven of eight. But Tech showed some life in Saturday's 64-62 loss at Clemson, nearly erasing a 16-point, second-half deficit.
Miami leads the all-time series 7-6, and has won six of the last eight.
- Miami Hurricanes @ Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
When: 9:00 PM ET, Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Where: Philips Arena, Atlanta, Georgia
TV: 9 p.m. ET, ESPNU
Check Live NCAA Basketball Odds on Justbet Sportsbook.
Miami Hurricanes (10-7): Florida transfer Kenny Kadji, a 6-foot-11 native of Cameroon, has four double-doubles after getting 20 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks against N.C. State. He and 6-10 center Reggie Johnson form a potent inside duo. Leading scorer Malcolm Grant (12.9 points), whose brother died in late December, is understandably distracted. He went 0 for 7 from the field against the Wolfpack. After the Hurricanes had only one assist in the first half Sunday and finished with 10, Larranaga hinted at possible lineup changes.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (8-11): Leading scorer Glen Rice Jr. (13.7 points, 6.5 rebounds) took over late in Saturday's loss at Clemson, scoring 15 straight Tech points. He thrived when Gregory used him as the primary ballhandler. With Georgia Tech starving for offense, Rice might be the primary playmaker more often. The Jackets have failed to score 20 points in any of their last three first halves. Point guard Mfon Udofia (10.6 points) is more of a scorer than a distributor. He has 48 turnovers and 44 assists. Georgia Tech is 0-7 when losing the rebounding battle.
1. The last seven meetings have been decided by 10 points or less.
2. Georgia Tech forward Kammeon Holsey is hitting 62.7 percent of his shots from the floor, but has not taken enough to qualify for the ACC rankings.
3. Miami averages 7.4 made 3-pointers, while Georgia Tech averages 4.8.
BASKETBALL PREDICTION: Hurricanes 68, Yellow Jackets 63.
- ACC tournament Basketball Odds: Georgia Tech vs Miami
- NCAA Basketball Betting Odds and Lines: Georgia Tech at Miami
- NCAA Predictions and Scores: Georgia Tech Visit North Carolina
- College Basketball Pick: Duke Blue Devils vs Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
- Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Odds to Win 2012 National Championship