NCAA Football Picks: No 3 Arkansas Razorbacks vs No 1 LSU Tigers
Friday, November 25, 2011
by Frank Martin
After last week's shuffling of the BCS puzzle, the only thing certain is that the SEC will once again be represented in the National Championship Game by at least one school. Right now, it's shaping up as an Alabama-Louisiana State rematch, but No. 3 Arkansas Razorbacks will have something to say about that.
The Razorbacks used last weekend's chaos to jump up into third in the BCS standings. They probably still need a win over the No. 1 LSU igers and an Alabama loss to reach the National Championship Game, but anything is possible.
Several scenarios exist in the case of a three-way tie atop the SEC West between LSU, Alabama and Arkansas. The easiest way for the Tigers to ensure themselves a spot in at least the SEC Championship game would be to topple the Razorbacks in Baton Rouge. Arkansas will be playing with heavy hearts after backup tight end Garrett Uekman was found dead in his dorm room Sunday.
Arkansas Razorbacks (10-1): The Razorbacks' loss came to No. 2 Alabama way back on Sept. 24. Since then they have taken down three ranked teams, including a 44-28 win over then-No. 9 South Carolina on Nov. 5. Arkansas has eclipsed 40 points in each of the last three games and boasts a passing attack that is averaging 316.9 yards - 10th best in the nation. Tyler Wilson has 21 touchdowns and five interceptions and was named the SEC Offensive Player of the Week after putting up 365 yards and three scores in a 44-17 drubbing of Mississippi State last Saturday.
LSU Tigers (11-0): Aiming to stop that passing attack will be the Tigers' No. 2-ranked scoring defense, which is holding opponents to 10 points. That defense is allowing only 158.3 yards through the air and has yielded a total of 11 touchdowns in 2011. LSU has shown off its offense in the last two weeks, beating Western Kentucky and Ole Miss by a combined 94-12. The time-share at quarterback between Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee has not been an issue because the running game has accounted for 644 yards the last two weeks.
1. Alfred Blue has ripped off runs of at least 45 yards in back-to-back games for the Tigers.
2. Saturday will feature the highest-ranked matchup at Tiger Stadium since No. 1 LSU beat No. 3 Ole Miss in 1959.
3. Arkansas is ranked in the top three for the first time since Oct. 15, 1978.
NCAA FOOTBALL PREDICTION: LSU 24, Arkansas 17 -- The Razorbacks will put up a few points, but the Tigers will get the stops they need to win.
- NCAA Football Score: LSU Tigers and Arkansas Razorbacks
- NCAA Football Odds: Kentucky Wildcats visit No 1 LSU Tigers
- Las Vegas NCAA Football Picks: LSU Tigers vs Arkansas Razorbacks
- Bovada BCS National Championship Game Odds: LSU vs Alabama
- BCS National Championship Prediction: Alabama Crimson Tide vs LSU Tigers