by Tomas Lopez
The Los Angeles Dodgers are playing so well, manager Don Mattingly figures even Edinson Volquez pitching at Coors Field will turn out all right. Los Angeles, which has won 53 of its last 66 games, will try for its seventh straight victory when it visits the Colorado Rockies on Wednesday in the finale of a three-game set. Volquez, signed Friday after being released by San Diego, is 1-4 with an 8.39 ERA in seven career starts in Denver - and 0-2 with a 14.92 ERA in three outings this season.
Volquez will oppose Jorge De La Rosa, who will try for his sixth straight victory to match a career high with his 16th, but will have to do it against his chief nemesis. The Dodgers continue to steamroll toward the National League West title following a 7-4 victory over Colorado on Tuesday. Los Angeles leads Arizona by 13 1/2 games - its largest division advantage since Sept. 14, 1977 - and has a red-hot hitter in Carl Crawford (10-for-18 last four games).
PITCHING MATCHUP: Dodgers RH Edinson Volquez (9-10, 5.97 ERA) vs. Rockies LH Jorge De La Rosa (15-6, 3.33)
Mattingly decided to save rookie left-hander Hyun-jin Ryu for Friday's series opener in Cincinnati and give Volquez his first start in a Dodger uniform. The 30-year-old Dominican Republic native made his Los Angeles debut with a scoreless inning of relief in a 9-2 victory over San Diego on Friday. Volquez is 3-7 with a 7.71 ERA, 2.01 WHIP and .329 batting average against in 12 starts against Colorado - 0-4 with a 13.08 ERA in five outings this season - and the roster is hitting .380 against him.
De La Rosa is 1-8 with a 6.28 ERA, 1.75 WHIP and .313 batting average against in 15 games (11 starts) against Los Angeles, including 1-1 with a 6.55 ERA in two starts this season. The 32-year-old Mexican, however, allowed two runs in seven innings of a 7-2 victory over the Dodgers on June 2 in his last outing against them. De La Rosa allowed three runs and eight hits in six innings while dealing with a bruise on his left thumb in a 9-6 victory over Cincinnati on Friday.
1. Dodgers 1B Adrian Gonzalez is hitting .375 in 32 at-bats with three home runs and nine RBIs against De La Rosa.
2. Colorado LF Carlos Gonzalez played for the first time since Aug. 7 when he entered Tuesday's game during a double switch in the eighth inning. He was pinch hit for in the bottom half by Josh Rutledge (who homered) as Gonzalez's sprained right middle finger continues to bother him.
Recent Trends on LA Dodgers:
- LA are 24-3 in their last 27 road games.
- LA are 42-10 in their last 52 overall.
- LA are 50-13 in their last 63 games on grass.
Recent Trends on Colorado:
- COL are 43-15 in De La Rosas last 58 home starts.
Head to Head:
- COL are 1-10 in De La Rosas last 11 starts vs. LA.
- Over is 20-8 in the last 28 meetings in Colorado.
Las Vegas Sports Betting MLB Prediction: Dodgers 3, Rockies 2.
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
adrian gonzalez - carl crawford - carlos gonzalez - colorado rockies - don mattingly - don mattingly - edinson volquez - edinson volquez - hanley ramirez - hyun-jin ryu