Las Vegas MLB Prediction: Detroit Tigers host Tampa Bay Rays
Friday, June 29, 2012
A big-time pitching matchup is on tap when Detroit’s Justin Verlander and Tampa Bay Rays’s David Price take the mound in Friday’s second contest of a four-game series between the Detroit Tigers and host Rays. Verlander, the reigning American League Cy Young Award winner, has won three straight decisions. Price has won four of his last five starts and looking to become the AL’s first 11-game winner this season. The Tigers won Thursday’s opener 5-2.
Detroit has won nine of the past 11 meetings with Tampa Bay after racking up 15 hits. Miguel Cabrera hit his 16th homer, and he and teammate Austin Jackson finished with four hits apiece. Jackson is 10-for-21 and scored eight runs over the past five games. The Rays have matched a season high with four straight losses and have lost seven of 10 games. Tampa Bay is struggling at home with just eight wins in the last 23 games on friendly soil.
Verlander’s winning streak comes after he went four consecutive starts without notching a victory. He went the distance against the Pittsburgh Pirates in his last outing and allowed two runs and five hits. Verlander gave up four runs and four hits in 8 1/3 innings while losing to the Rays on April 11. He is 6-2 with a 3.68 ERA in 11 career starts against Tampa Bay.
Price went seven innings in each of this last two starts while beating Washington and Philadelphia. He struck out eight while limiting the Phillies to one run and four hits last Sunday. Price has allowed one earned run or less in five of his last seven outings. He didn’t face Detroit in the April series and is 3-1 with a 2.15 ERA in six career appearances (four starts) against the Tigers.
1. Rays OF B.J. Upton is batting .444 with a homer in 18 career at-bats against Verlander.
2. Cabrera is 1-for-11 with five strikeouts against Price.
3. Tampa Bay activated DH Luke Scott prior to Thursday’s game. Scott went 0-for-3 with a walk.
Recent Trends on Detroit: :
- Under is 7-2 in DET last 9 overall.
- Under is 7-2 in DET last 9 on grass.
- DET are 19-7 in Verlanders last 26 road starts.
Recent Trends on Tampa Bay: :
- Over is 9-3 in TB last 12 Fri. games.
- Under is 10-4 in Prices last 14 Fri. starts.
- Under is 34-15-3 in Prices last 52 home starts.
Head to Head :
- Under is 7-0-2 in the last 9 meetings.
- DET are 10-2 in the last 12 meetings.
Las Vegas Sports Betting MLB Prediction: Detroit -120
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- Saturday July 14 Prediction: Boston Red Sox vs Tampa Bay Rays
- MLB Sports Betting Odds: Detroit Tigers vs Tampa Bay Rays
- 2012 Baseball Odds: Detroit Tigers at Tampa Bay Rays
- April 10th MLB Predictions: Tampa Bay Rays vs Detroit Tigers
- MLB Baseball Betting: Detroit Tigers vs Tampa Bay Rays