Las Vegas MLB Lines: New York Yankees at Boston Red Sox
Sunday, July 08, 2012
Staring at a potential doubleheader sweep, the Boston Red Sox were in desperate need of a spark - and they got it via their Triple-A affiliate 45 miles to the south. Pedro Ciriaco, who was summoned from the minors Friday, had four hits and four RBIs to lift the Red Sox to a 9-5 victory over the New York Yankees in Saturday's nightcap. Another callup from Pawtucket, R.I., Mauro Gomez, had three hits Saturday night and is 7-for-13 in the series against the Yankees.
New York flexed its muscles Saturday, bashing seven home runs in the doubleheader to push its major league-leading total to 133. Three of the long balls came off the bat of Andruw Jones, who got a chance to play when the Red Sox started two left-handers Saturday. Jones will likely remain in the lineup with southpaw Jon Lester set to start for Boston against Yankees right-hander Ivan Nova. New York holds a six-game lead over Baltimore in the AL East.
Nova had his five-game winning streak snapped last time out, giving up a season high-tying six runs in six innings at Tampa Bay to absorb his first road loss in exactly 13 months. Nova beat the Red Sox at Fenway Park on April 20, giving up two runs on seven hits in six innings. He has allowed a homer in four straight starts and has surrendered 17 for the season.
Lester is coming off his best start in weeks, limiting the Oakland Athletics to one run on four hits while matching his season high of nine strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings. While Lester is 8-3 in 17 career starts against the Yankees, he had his troubles with them last year, going 2-2 with a 6.66 ERA in five starts. Derek Jeter is batting .347 (17-for-49) against Lester.
1. New York has scored 12 first-inning runs in the series.
2. Boston first baseman Adrian Gonzalez had three hits Saturday night to extend his hitting streak to a career-high 18 games.
3. Ciriaco batted .333 (13-for-39) in parts of two seasons with the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Recent Trends on NY Yankees: :
- Under is 7-1 in NYY last 8 Sun. games.
- NYY are 12-4 in their last 16 road games.
- NYY are 23-9 in their last 32 overall.
Recent Trends on Boston: :
- Under is 8-2 in BOS last 10 overall.
- Under is 8-2 in BOS last 10 on grass.
- Over is 6-2 in BOS last 8 home games.
Head to Head :
- Over is 18-8 in the last 26 meetings in Boston.
Las Vegas Sports Betting MLB Prediction: Boston -120
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- MLB Baseball Predictions: New York Yankees vs Boston Red Sox
- MLB Betting Odds: New York Yankees vs Boston Red Sox
- MLB Odds: Yankees and Red Sox Battle for First Place
- MLB Baseball Picks: New York Yankees vs Boston Red Sox
- MLB Free Predictions: Boston Red Sox vs New York Yankees