July 8 Free MLB Picks: Cincinnati Reds at San Diego Padres
Sunday, July 08, 2012
Cincinnati sits one game behind Pittsburgh in the National League Central heading into Sunday’s series finale against San Diego, whose comeback attempt Saturday fell just short. Reds closer Aroldis Chapman struck out the side in the ninth inning for his 10th save in 14 chances, and he’s clearly one of the keys for the Reds in the second half. After a shaky June, Chapman looked sharp in his first appearance in five days, consistently hitting 99-101 mph with his fastball. Cincinnati’s starting pitchers have recorded quality starts in all 10 games during their road trip, including three complete games.
San Diego has gone 10-6 over its last 16 games, but the Padres are still 13 games out of first in the NL West. The team figures to experiment in the second half, beginning with Micah Owings’ position change. A career pitcher, the 29-year-old Owings will work as a first baseman and left fielder for Triple-A Tucson starting next week. Owings, who is not expected to pitch again this season, is a career .283 hitter over 203 at-bats. The Padres are also considering more traditional changes, including possible trades of veterans Chase Headley, Huston Street and Carlos Quentin.
Cueto has lost his last two starts after winning four straight. He gave up three runs over seven innings last Tuesday against the Dodgers, giving him seven straight quality starts. Cueto hasn’t allowed a home run since May 25, and his 2.33 ERA over the past two seasons is tied with the Angels’ Jared Weaver for the best in the majors.
Marquis is starting on three days rest after giving up four runs over 6 1/3 innings Wednesday against Arizona. In six career starts on three days’ rest, Marquis is 1-2 with a 3.93 ERA. Since being called up to San Diego on June 7, Marquis has a 3.49 ERA and a 1-4 record in six starts.
1. Padres pitcher Andrew Cashner will miss about a month after landing on the disabled list with strained right lat muscle.
2. Reds third baseman Scott Rolen (back) is expected to start Sunday for the first time since leaving a game on June 29 in the first inning.
3. Headley doubled in the first inning Saturday to extend his hitting streak to 12 games.
Recent Trends on Cincinnati: :
- Under is 9-2-1 in CIN last 12 road games.
- Under is 19-7-1 in CIN last 27 overall.
- Under is 19-7-1 in CIN last 27 on grass.
Recent Trends on San Diego: :
- Under is 7-1 in SD last 8 Sun. games.
- SD are 6-2 in their last 8 overall.
- SD are 6-2 in their last 8 games on grass.
Head to Head :
- CIN are 7-3 in the last 10 meetings.
Las Vegas Sports Betting MLB Prediction: Cincinnati -160
More Prediction at Las Vegas Sports Pick
- MLB Sports Gambling: Colorado Rockies at San Diego Padres
- Place a Bet on MLB Baseball: San Diego Padres at Cincinnati Reds
- MLB Sports Betting Odds: Cincinnati Reds at San Diego Padres
- MLB Baseball Las Vegas Prediction: San Diego Padres vs Cincinnati Reds
- Las Vegas Baseball Odds and Picks: Cincinnati Reds vs San Diego Padres