Interleague Baseball Odds: Arizona Diamondbacks at Kansas City Royals
Friday, May 18, 2012
by Mike Stewart
Interleague play is at its best when it brings together regional rivals or top teams that otherwise would not meet until the World Series. And then sometimes it brings together the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Kansas City Royals. While the Diamondbacks were expected to be playoff contenders, the Royals have not made the postseason since 1985. Kansas City and Phoenix are over 1,200 miles apart. Still, the fans of western Missouri will get another chance to see young stars like Justin Upton and Miguel Montero.
The Diamondbacks swept a three-game set at Kansas City last season and are frequent interleague opponents of the Royals, owning an 11-7 record against them all-time and a 9-3 mark at Kauffman Stadium. Kansas City enters having dropped back-to-back home games after a 6-1 stretch. The Royals lost a 15-inning affair on Wednesday and have totaled six runs in the last 24 innings. Arizona earned a wild win on Thursday but is just 3-9 over its last 12 games.
The wheels have come off a bit for Saunders lately. After holding his first five opponents to two earned runs or less, the veteran left-hander has surrendered a total of 12 earned runs in 8 1/3 innings over his last two turns. Saunders has given up four home runs in that span while recording only three strikeouts. He is 5-1 with a 3.32 ERA in seven career starts against Kansas City.
Mendoza is trending in the opposite direction, having allowed two runs or less in each of his last three starts. The problem for the right-hander has been sticking around, as his 5 2/3 innings at Chicago last weekend matched a season high. He has issued 18 walks while striking out just 13 in 28 1/3 total innings.
1. Kansas City went 5-13 in interleague play last season while Arizona went 10-8.
2. Upton snapped a 13-game homerless streak with a two-run blast on Thursday.
3. Royals 1B Eric Hosmer was held out of the lineup on Thursday. He is batting .174 and has not homered since April 25.
Recent Trends on Arizona:
- ARI are 3-9 in their last 12 overall.
- ARI are 3-9 in their last 12 games on grass.
- Under is 6-2-1 in ARI last 9 on grass.
Recent Trends on Kansas City:
- KC are 5-17 in their last 22 home games.
- Under is 6-2 in KC last 8 on grass.
- Under is 6-2 in KC last 8 overall.
Head to Head:
- Over is 8-3-2 in the last 13 meetings.
- Baseball Betting Trends: Arizona Diamondbacks at Kansas City Royals
- Las Vegas MLB Baseball Odds: Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals
- MLB Las Vegas Betting Odds: Atlanta Braves vs Kansas City Royals
- MLB Sports Betting Odds: Arizona Diamondbacks at St. Louis Cardinals
- MLB Matchup and Trends: Arizona Diamondbacks at Kansas City Royals