Dec 26th NHL Hockey Odds: New Jersey at Carolina
Sunday, December 25, 2011
Changing their head coach has not exactly worked out for the Carolina Hurricanes thus far. Now Kirk Muller and assistant John MacLean will try to put an end to their new team's woes against one of their former clubs as the Hurricanes host the New Jersey Devils on Monday.
Carolina replaced Paul Maurice with Muller on Nov. 28 but still is struggling as it began the new regime's tenure with four straight losses and is 3-6-2 overall since the switch. New Jersey Devils has won five straight meetings with the Hurricanes - including two at home this season - and enters Monday's matchup with a four-game winning streak on the road.
New Jersey Devils (19-14-1): Despite its current winning streak against the Hurricanes, New Jersey has lost seven of its last 10 games in Carolina. The Devils, who have won five of six overall, are one of three teams occupying a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference yet to score 100 goals. Ilya Kovalchuk has caught fire, registering seven goals and 16 points in his last 13 games.
Carolina Hurricanes (11-19-6): Carolina has earned at least a point in four of its last five games (2-1-2). It has lost 22 of 30 overall and seven of nine against the Atlantic Division. The Hurricanes have dropped six of their last eight at home but have won two of three. Andreas Nodl has scored a goal in two straight games. The 24-year-old failed to notch a point in his first eight contests with Carolina after being claimed off waivers from the Philadelphia Flyers on Nov. 29.
New Jersey has won
15 of its last 20 meetings with Southeast Division opponents.
2. The Devils are 10-1 this season in games that go beyond regulation, including an 8-1 mark in shootouts.
3. Hurricanes captain Eric Staal has a league-worst minus-21 rating.
NHL PREDICTION: Devils 4, Hurricanes 2
- NHL Picks and Tips: Florida Panthers at Carolina Hurricanes
- NHL Hockey Odds: New Jersey Devils at Carolina Hurricanes
- Free NHL Hockey Picks and Tips: New York Rangers at Carolina Hurricanes
- NHL Free Picks and Tips: Pittsburgh at Carolina
- NHL Picks and Tips: New York Rangers at Carolina Hurricanes